11 star producers from the coffee-growing regions of Kiambu, Murang'a, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos of the Kenyan coffee origin
Leo Constellation coffees are exceptional, from the coffee growing regions of Kiambu, Murang'a, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos, Kenya, green and ready to roast.
We explain what you want to know about the cafés of the Leo constellation
- Production is limited, usually microlots
- They have well-defined key descriptors with a wide variety of key descriptors.
- The descriptors of the fruity group are the most prevalent in this constellation.
- Producers are working on different types of fermentations and processes, with natural anaerobic fermentations being the most applied.
- Every year, 60% of its processes evolve, 30% are consolidated and 10% of new processes are generated.
- They have an average score according to the SCAscale of 85.5 to 90 points.
- All farms producing coffee in the Leo Constellation are above 1,650 meters above sea level.
- In this coffee constellation there are producers from 6 coffee growing districts in the coffee regions of Kiambu, Murang’a, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos.
- Experimental coffees are produced in the main Kenyan origin crop
Processes and Fermentations
Different lots per year
Coffee growers involved
These are the 11 star producers of the Leo Constellation from the Kiambu, Murang'a, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos coffee growing regions of Kenya.
Each one has its own history, its own project and its own challenges, but they all have something in common: extraordinary coffees with a very strong personality.
Algieba | Kiambu
Regulus | Kiambu
Al Jabbah | Kiambu
Subra | Kiambu
Denebola | Kiambu
Zosma | Murang’a
Chort | Murang’a
Esther Wanjiku Kamau
Chort | Embu
Adhafera | Machakos
Al Minlar| Nyeri
Alterf | Kisii
Leo, Constellations range coffees
Roaster we explain in brief the advantages of roasting green coffee of the Constellations range of Mare Terra Green Coffee
They are: Specialty coffees with a cup profile with marked character and personality – Innovation and constant evolution – Exclusive selection in each harvest – Reference varietals in each origin – Wide palette of key descriptors, level 3 and 4 of the descriptor wheel, well defined – Exclusive batches for a single roaster, 5 secondary defects maximum per 350 gr – Minimum SCA score +84 – Sampling of lots prior to arrival from origin – Two imports per harvest, first available and consistency for repetitions – Batches from 300 to 1.500 kg – Unification of packaging, convenient and practical, 30 kg – Marketing segmented by region, never one lot sold in a region for two roasters.
Kenya is where our Leo constellation coffees are produced.
We explain what you want to know about the coffees of the Leo constellation of the coffee regions of Kiambu, Muranga, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos.
- The coffees of the Leo Constellation are grown in 6 coffee growing regions: Kiambu, Muranga, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos.
- The estimated population of these six regions is 3.225 million.
- The combined area of Kiambu, Muranga, Nyeri, Embu, Kisii and Machakos is 17,698.30 km².
- These six regions produce 68.99% of the country’ s total coffee production .
- More than 300,000 families are engaged in coffee growing in these regions.
- 67,400 hectares are cultivated with coffee trees.
- Kiambu ranks 1st as the country’s coffee-growing region, Nyeri 2nd and Murang’a 4th.
- The most commonly grown varietals are SL28, 34 Batian and Ruiru 11.
- Harvest months are from October to December.
A selection of our green coffees that we import and distribute from the Mare Terra Green Coffee Constellations range.
Ready to roast – Cup varieties and quality validated in our laboratory – Profitable, reliable and faithful coffees to consolidate or grow your market – Discover them now
Publications of our coffee blog
Today, coffee is one of the most consumed beverages in the world. We can drink a cup of coffee in any country, from Italy or the United States to Ethiopia, and we immediately realize that the way it is prepared and served differs enormously from one place to another.